The habit of regularly reading is something that CEOs and leaders who are extraordinary achievers have in common. Even though they are busy, they find the time to read books. Bill Gates admits, “I had a lot of dreams when I was a kid, and I think a great deal of that grew out of the fact that I had a chance to read a lot.” Reading makes leaders. Reading makes us smarter and more wise. Reading makes people more informed and helps them achieve their objectives. Reading has many advantages.
- It stimulates the mind. You can forget about troubles with it and go to a world of imagination.
- You will feel less stressed and more peaceful. This removes any negative thoughts and makes room for positive ones.
- It helps you to improve your skills and knowledge. The books inspire you. These books can help you develop many skills, talents, and habits that will make you a better person.
- Reading can be an active mental activity that helps improve your focus and concentration. Reading improves your memory, vocabulary and discipline as well as creativity. It improves mental association, reasoning and conceptual skills.
- This helps you to understand life’s realities and be pragmatic. You can explore new paths. This opens up the door to the rest of the world. Your community and society will respect you.
Stephen King touched the right chord when he said, “Books are a uniquely portable magic.” You can learn by yourself with little investment. Books are a great way to get motivated and dream big.
Studies show that reading is a good stress reliever. According to a 2009 Sussex University study, reading can reduce stress levels by up to 68 percent. “It doesn’t matter what book you read, by losing yourself in a thoroughly engrossing book you can escape from the worries and stresses of the everyday world and spend a while exploring the domain of the author’s imagination.”
These are some ways to make reading a habit for life.
- Each day, you should read the newspaper.
- Find blogs, magazines online, and other publications in the area you are interested.
- Talk about what you have read with others. They will help you verify your information and make you want to read more.
- You should always have a copy of a book on hand when you go travelling. You can also download the app for e-books that are available over your mobile device.
- You can start by reading 30 minutes per day. Do nothing else during those 30 minutes. Turn off any distractions. Take the time to read and reflect on what you’ve just learned. Your opinion is important.
- Don’t read for the love of it. You may develop an addiction to reading. Therefore, you should read books related to your interest.
- Consider a situation where you’ve read only a handful of pages in a book.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
I love books.
I’ve read quite a lot of books in my life. The Human Resource Management International Digest of an Emerald magazine sent me many books for review. Many books are sent to me by eminent thought leaders around the world. Amazon reviews are what I do. I buy many books, and also read. A lot of my online reading is also done through books. I read almost every day. It is rare that I have ever slept with out reading or writing. Every time I travel, I bring a book to help me read and make the most of my commute. A passionate reader, I have a passion to help others.
My favorite thing about traveling was to be able read. When I had enough time, I used to stand in front of a station bookstand and browse through my books. This was also true when I needed to board a plane. Reading is the main purpose of my in-flight time. My habit was to walk along the roads whenever I saw Indian books being sold. Books have been a passion of mine since I was a child.
I have a fondness for reading newspapers. While digital news is becoming more popular, I enjoy the printed editions. This keeps me informed about current events worldwide. Also, I read online the news regularly.
All the best!
Reading books can change your life. For instance, Mahatma Gandhi was inspired by several books including John Ruskin’s Unto This Last. These principles were the basis of his leadership. The most successful leaders in history were avid readers. Abraham Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt and other leaders read a lot. Studies show that Fortune 500 company CEOs average reading four to five books each month. Further research shows that entrepreneurs who are successful read an average of 2.6 hours each day. Leaders are avid readers, and this helps them to excel.
Addicted 2 Success published the post You Must Read If You Want To Lead.
Addicted 2 Success published the post You Must Read If You Want To Lead